Friday, February 12, 2010

A Post To Raymond

Yep, I'm back from GLO, but Raymond was always in my mind during my entire time there. I prayed for him, and asked the other students to pray too. I had faith that Raymond would be healed, however serious his condition was, if God would just say it.

I made a point one day to fast for him. I was inside the room while the students were having dinner. I prayed very hard to God, asking Him to heal Raymond because he was young and had a lot to offer for Him here, not forgetting that he was just engaged. I seemed to forget what the lecturer for the first week said,

"When we pray, we're not telling God our will, but placing ourselves in His."

I didn't understand what that phrase meant until that day when it all became clear. If God intended to bring Raymond home, then so be it. May His will be done. But at that point, I was just praying that Raymond be healed. It was my will the whole time when I prayed.

Just as I finished praying, I suddenly remembered Job. There were two verses that came into my mind and they were,

Job 1:21

And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.


Job 2:10

... What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?...

That was God's answer to my prayer; that at every situation, whether Raymond lives or dies, the Lord's name be blessed and I should accept the outcome. It's funny how I always thought that God seemed to be out of control when someone nears death, as if calling Raymond home was never part of what God wanted. Now, a week after his death, I know what God's will is; to bring Raymond to a better place, Home.

Of course I'm sad at the loss of a friend, but nevertheless, I trust that he is somewhere much better than when he left off, and if that is so, may God's will be done.

Ray, thanks for the fun times we had together. I'll be looking forward to seeing you in Heaven.

For us here, may these verses encourage you the way they have encouraged me during my time in GLO.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice evermore.
Pray without ceasing.
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

No comments: